By Rayan Kayssi
Using the Food Guide Pyramid
Mary “Good Dip” Feidu recently started college and is living on her own for the first time. She noticed that she has gained a few pounds and that she needs to pay more attention to her diet.
1. Total up and list the number of servings Mary had from each food group. Does Mary meet the minimum number of servings recommended by the Food Guide Pyramid for each food group? Explain.
The minimum number of servings recommended by the Food Guide Pyramid for each group :
Breakfast : Grains (1) , Fruit (1) , Milk (3/4)
Snack : Grains (2)
Lunch : Grains (2) , Vegetables (1/8 + 2 1/2) , Meat(1) , Milk (1 1/2)
Dinner : Grains (2) , Vegetables (1) , Meat(2), Milk (2/3 + 2/3)
Total : Grains (7) , Fruit (1) ,Vegetables (3 5/8) , Meat(3), Milk (3 7/12)
Yes, Mary meets the minimum number of servings recommended by the Food Guide Pyramid for each food group.
2. What food items did she have during the day that contributed primarily sugar and/or fat?
Mary didn’t have any items during the day that contributed primarily sugar and/or fats.
3. How would you rate Mary’s food choices in terms of nutrient density and variety? Explain.
Mary did not choose a variety of food groups in her diet, even though she did eat different things.
She didn’t include enough fruits and vegetables.
As for nutrient density, she didn’t choose a lot of nutrient dense food when she ate: French fries, donuts, milk shakes, and ice creams.
4. How would more nutrient-dense choices affect the energy content of her diet?
Choosing more nutrient-dense food would affect the energy content of her diet tremendously.
She could make better choices by consuming a wider variety of nutrient-dense food to lower her number of servings.
She can find something that would give her the same amount of nutrients but is denser per kcal to save intake kcal and by that save energy.
5. Make some suggestions for Mary so that she can increase the variety and nutrient density of her diet. Do your recommendations meet Mary’s basic needs according to the Food Guide Pyramid? Take into account other important factors such as the types of fat Mary is consuming. Are they mostly “healthy” or “unhealthy” types of fat? What about the type of carbohydrates she consumed? Does she seem to consume the type of carbohydrates that would contribute to the recommended minimum of 25 grams of fiber per day? Discuss.
Mary could use more vegetables in her diet because vegetables are denser than other food in terms of nutrients.
Instead of having French fries, she could have a cup of vegetables. She should also consume less of the milk products and take grains instead, or fruits.
Mary consumed some unhealthy fats that were not included directly in the table provided.
For example, the French fries were fried in oil and are high on cholesterol.
As well as the milk shake that was full of sugar.
Since, the table didn’t specifically give enough details about the ingredients I couldn’t add it to the number of servings, but she needs to cut down on the sugars and fats and substitute them with healthy food that contribute more nutrients and less energy.
As for the type of carbohydrates that she consumed, she chose some of the ones that are the lowest in nutrient density, such as doughnuts. She might get the 25 grams of fiber per day, but she doesn’t necessarily get them from the best sources. She gained weight because she was making the wrong choices when picking out her food.
6. The name of the case study object (person) can be rearranged into another group of words. What are they?
I don’t really know what you mean by this question. I tried to rearrange the words of the case study object’s name in many different ways, but I didn’t find any outcome with an interesting phrase.
These are the possibilities that I could think of:
Mary Dip good feidu
Mary good dip feidu
Mary feidu dip good
Mary feidu good dip
Good mary dip feidu
Good mary feidu dip
Dip mary good feidu
Dip mary feidu good
Feidu mary good dip
Feidu good mary dip
Feidu dip good mary
Feidu dip mary good
The ones that make sense the most were:
Mary feidu good dip (that sounds like Mary “feed” u good dip)
Good mary feidu dip (that sounds like Mary Feidu is a dip)